The full size mattress, also called a double mattress, is a staple in many American homes. If you’re currently in the market for one, City Mattress has a plethora to choose from! Before buying your next full size mattress, however, you should be aware of your options and how each can guide you to better sleep.
Full mattress size
A standard full mattress measures 54”W x 75”L, which makes it considerably smaller than a queen (learn more in our full vs queen comparison article). This means that a full size mattress can comfortably sleep a single adult with a little room for a pet or small child. Two adults will find it difficult to share the space, so we recommend that couples consider a queen or king instead. A full size mattress works well for a guest room as well as a child or teenager that needs a bed with room to grow.
What to look for in a new full mattress
Before buying a full size mattress, it’s important to consider its intended use. How much support should it provide? Would innersprings, memory foam or a hybrid be best? These are just a few things to think about as you search. Full mattresses come in many types and materials, each with pros and cons. As a starting point, City Mattress provides a softness scale from 1 (firmest) to 10 (softest) for every mattress we offer.
A firmer choice will benefit those who prefer to sleep “on top” of their mattress, as well as anyone who suffers with back pain. A Firm comfort layer provides excellent support for back and stomach sleepers while offering optimal spinal alignment for back ailments. Furthermore, a firm mattress helps you stay cooler while you sleep, by exposing more of your body to air. If you tend to sleep on your side, however, you may find the firmness creates too much pressure on your shoulders and hips, which can result in soreness and interrupted sleep. Mattresses in the firm category often rate less than 5 on the softness scale.
For those who prefer to feel hugged or even absorbed by their mattress, a pillow or euro top can be like sleeping on a cloud. The softer experience is often better for side sleepers, as the mattress relieves pressure on the shoulders and hips. In terms of sleep temperature, a softer top makes for warmer sleep, since some of your body will sink into the surface, reducing air flow. Mattresses in the soft category often rate greater than 5 on the softness scale.
For solid support coupled with pressure relief, a plush mattress meets you in the middle. Plush tops add a bit of softness to an otherwise firm mattress, ideal for couples with opposing sleep needs. Bear in mind that the variety of materials and styles of plush top mattresses means they can rate above or below 5 on the softness scale.
How much does a full size mattress cost?
Because there are so many options available, full size mattresses vary a great deal in price. However, City Mattress has something for everyone, and we’re confident we can help you find the right mattress for your budget. Let’s look at a few choices for less than $1000, followed by some that highlight the best sleep technologies.
The following full size mattresses fit smaller budgets, while still being adjustable base friendly:
- The Corsicana 3500 Euro Top Innerspring Mattress is a traditional innerspring mattress with support foam on top, providing a soft experience with firm support.
- The Simmons Beautyrest Bennington Medium Firm Foam Mattress also combines innersprings with comfort foam to offer a soft surface with firm support underneath.
- The Casper Original Foam Mattress is an innerspring-free, all-foam mattress that features cooling technology on top of excellent spinal alignment.
There are so many queen size mattresses in this category that it’s difficult to go wrong. Here we list a few adjustable base friendly options that are sure to catch your eye.
- The Serta Icomfort Foam Cf1000 Medium Mattress is a medium comfort (5 on the softness scale) option that includes advanced cooling features for a comfortable night’s sleep.
- The PranaSleep Karma Sky Super Plush Mattress is an excellent hybrid that combines innersprings, foams and latex for strong support with a plush top for pressure relief.
- The Aireloom Joshua Euro Top Mattress is a handmade hybrid that takes comfort to the next level, with individually-wrapped coils and multiple specialized foams for a medium-firm experience that you’re sure to love.
Why City Mattress?
When you buy your next mattress from City Mattress, you’ll receive top level support from a trained team of sleep enthusiasts! From the wide selection to our online and instore sales staff, we can help you build the sleep space of your dreams. Let us take the guesswork out of your next mattress purchase!